04 September 2012

Patti Smith, For Noise Festival, Pully, Switzerland

I briefly came into possession of the set list for this show, but I gave it away to an eager French person who wanted it for his girlfriend. I should have told him I was representative of all friendly Californians and that this should clear up our crappy reputation with the French but I forgot. Also neglected to get a photo before I gave it away for a kiss on BOTH cheeks. Cheap I know.

So... Patti Smith! Having just finished her book Just Kids, and having owned the album Horses for awhile, I was looking forward to this.  Now, I have been sorely disappointed withe reunion shows and also stars of the 60s and 70s still performing (Beach Boys at 02 World, that review will get written soon) so I was a bit wary, but I can securely say Patti still has it. Strolling onto stage looking like a train-riding hobo in fingerless black gloves, a black knit beanie, baggy jeans, work boots and an oversize black jacket over a white Eletric Ladyland tshirt, she pretty clearly had androgynous rock star down.  Patti still has her edge, just more wrinkles, and her crow-ish, think appearance suits her songs.  One passage of the book she relates how Allen Ginsberg fronts her some money when she comes up short paying for dinner, and didn't realize until they started speaking that she was a woman ("I'm sorry, I took you for a very pretty boy.")

Anyway, as her band came on, the audience experienced a shift as young 'uns fell back and an older crowd pushed to the front, one Swiss gentleman armed with a long stemmed sunflower.  I am reminded as I watch Patti that she was a poet first and musician second, and it come through in her lyrics. She referenced some current political situations (like imprisoned Pussy Riot) and called for unity before some new songs, like "Banga."  Believes that if everyone learned the song it would foster understanding for all.  There are human moments in the show, when she flubs and opening, and you can see how much fun she is having as she steps back from the mic and laughs with her bandmates, proclaiming "Hey, it's art!" To balance serious social commentary (songs like "Rock n Roll Nigger") and odes Amy Winehouse ("This is the Girl") we have a rarity in the field: a female musician, staying true to her original artistic intent, totally in her element, directing a group of talented and tight knit musicians. Like Lenny Kay said "It's a nugget/if you dug it," and, by the sound of it, we all dug it.
L to R: Jackson Smith, Tony Shanahan, Patti Smith and Lenny Kaye
Jackson Smith and Tony Shanahan


Tony Shanahan

No comments: