31 August 2012

New Order at Tempodrom, June 21, 2012


New orders coming!
get ready


I love auto correct, I wanted to say that New Order IS coming to Berlin, and look, it’s a double entendre. You see what I did there.
beginning
So as I shelled out 70 euros for two tickets to see a band, what, 20 years past it’s prime? I’m thinking of an entry where I can enumerate the many faceted genius of NW. While in my heart of hearts my deepest love goes to Joy Division, with New Order I find tracks that constantly surprise and refresh me. First, lest we forget, they had a great “comeback” with the album Get Ready in 2001. From the opening of “Crystal”, which begins with the signature New Order beats and a soul sample followed by the unmistakable voice of Bernard Sumner.  After watching Carlos the Jackal and the brilliant pairing of "Age of Consent" (that scene when he’s getting out of the shower)

Set List
Crystal
-
Ceremony
(Joy Division) Isolation
Age of Consent
-
-
Bizarre Love Triangle
586
-
-
Perfect Kiss
Blue Monday
Temptation
(Joy Division) Transmission
Love Will Tear us Apart

Gaps represent gaps in my memory, or where I couldn’t place the track list. Thanks to these guys for filling in some blanks.
As you can see, they played all the hits from a golden age. Check out the recent interview in ElectronicBeats , notice no mention of Peter Hook.  Thoughts that went through my mind during the show, after I sold my ticket to a solider in the Bundeswehr (errrr) was:
-incredible as yet unidentified opening DJ provided by sponsor, Electronic Beats
-what is it like when you just hold out your guitar and someone takes it, no questions asked?
-is drinking your water out of a wine glass some kind of nod to previous rock and roll excesses, like smoking tobacco out of an old bong?

No comments: