23 August 2012

documenta13

Solakov at the Brothers Grimm Museum
-->documenta13, Part 1

Freshly back from two art and action packed days in Kassel, and I want to give the mind-bogglingly big art show the proper writing treatment I hoped for, but first I just want to tell about my two favorite pieces while they are fresh in my mind.
free jukebox and comfy headphones
The first was Susan Hiller’s Die Gedanken Sind Frei. 100 songs, in 5 jukeboxes located throughout documenta13, completely free of charge and with an accompanying songbook. The book reads like the text of a mixed tape for the world. The songs all tend toward the protest and social change theme, but are really varied from Public Enemy’s “Fight the Power” to the American Indian Movement Song to “Clampdown” by the Clash.   The title refers to a German protest song, translated as “Thoughts are Free” (Thinking is Free).  In the songbook, Hiller relates how inmates in a concentration camp were ordered to put on a show to celebrate Hitler's 46th birthday and the Jewish lawyer Hans Litten sang this song, and was executed 3 days later (other sources claim he committed suicide after the incident). The first song I listened to was The Mothers of Invention “What is the Ugliest Part of Your Body” and I have to admit, providing headphones and a big comfy bench to sit is an excellent way to capture your audience in a sprawling art show. 
songbook
listen closely

and read those lyrics

The first and central jukebox of the piece is in it’s own room at the Neue Galerie, with the lyrics of the 100 songs plastered up on the walls. I sat and listened, reading the lyrics and getting emotional at Hiller’s anecdotes and stories after each one. At one point, “Die Gedanken Sind Frei” came on and the room changed, people who knew it sang the words and as the song ended everyone clapped and it brought several in the room to tears, including me.  Hiller has captured the essence of what attracts me to music, the “it”, that unnameable and intangible thing that makes songs ours, something that, while we maybe didn’t write it or create it, hearing it and participating in it makes it our own, and something that we share with others.  Hiller writes, referring to the songs she chose “Whenever I hear one of these songs, a gap opens up in ordinary everyday-ness and a past abruptly emerges.”  I made it my goal the rest of the weekend to find the other 4 jukeboxes and play both “War” by Edwin Starr and “Gimme Hope Jo’Anna” by Eddy Grant.
The other pleasant surprise was Bulgarian artist Nedko Solakov’s multi room installation a the Brothers Grimm Museum.  I saw this on Sunday when I had only two hours left to see the last pieces I wanted to, and that museum was not on the list but I figured there was no line so a quick look couldn’t hurt. What I found was a hilarious and absurd series of works with a distinctively Slavic (read: about mortality) bent. Solakov begins by telling us about childhood obsession with knights, and also a long held dream of being a hard rock drummer, and lastly, about owning remote control helicopters.  I wont’ give too much away when I say the video that made me laugh the hardest was Solakov dressed up as a knight while three gifted drummers played and he had a remote control helicopter land on his arm.  The best was the last video where he goes on a ride on white horse in a snow, dressed in a complete suit of armor, with a bendable unicorn toy (his daughter’s) wrapped around the horse’s halter. It was a patently ridiculous, Solakov fulfilling childhood dreams in his 50s, but that it was made it great, the ability to look back on your dreams and joyously still participate in the them.
a painting he commissioned combining all his long held dreams

on TV with the drummers

more hilarious videos and paraphernalia
-->


No comments: