02 July 2013

now, let's review Austra - Olympia and Listener - Time is a Machine


Now, I have stopped writing reviews because I'm so full of myself. No, seriously! I haven't done that many since I have been busy with interviews. Also, happy to share I was promoted to Content Editor at NBHAP, that means I get to check everyone's English and help the writers keep to a style. As always, grateful for the opportunity to be a know-it-all.
The two reviews I wrote in the last few months are bands that are close to my heart. Listener I only recently discovered, and Wooden Heart (2010) has been on repeat for awhile. It's intense, but good intense. June saw the band releasing Time is a Machine, which keeps to the confessional, heart-wrenching style that makes it's almost painful to listen to. My favorite line is "and people everywhere are crying on cliff edges and carving their ex-lovers names into tree trunks in anticipation."

Next is Austra with Olympia, which I will say is actually better than Feel it Break (2011) on account of all the collaboration. " Katie’s icy soprano over stylized synth-pop." See earlier posts for my interview with her.
Next up: a weekend at Danish music festival Roskilde...pretty much realizing a life-long dream here.

No comments: