31 July 2013

Roskilde Festival 2013

Oh, Roskilde. This is a bit belated, but I wanted to compile all the writing I did over those magical five days in early July. Wednesday and Thursday were mellow, more seeing the non-musical aspects of the festival like Dream City and the camps.  Thursday evening kicked off with Suicidal Tendencies, of all things and Friday things started with Henry Rollins and ended with Rihanna, two musicians I never thought I would put in one sentence. Saturday I did the art tour and got to meet Ron English, which was an unexpected surprise. The mock ads he designed for the grandstand wall were hilarious.
Sunday was my favorite day, with a surprisingly fun set from Kid Koala. He played a song he wrote for the kids TV show Yo Gabba Gabba and got the audience to dance a long. I also conducted a few interviews. Read the one with Henry Rollins (don't be impressed, it was over email, tried to meet him in person but no luck.)  I talked to Jonathan Schultz of Schultz and Forever, who I have interviewed before, but this time we talked about his top ten influential songs. He introduced me to this William Basinski track that blew my mind, dlp 1.1 I also saw the girls from Baby in Vain and got an insider Danish view on Roskilde, that one still needs to publish.







No comments: