15 April 2013

hearts were broken and remade this month

Let's just say I've been busy writing some fun little odds and ends. I got really sick for about a week which led me to watch three straight days of MTV and VH1, which was like Top 40 crack, I loved it! My favorite was an "80s versus 90s" show on VH1, which made me realize how many drugs people did in the 1980s, especially Boy George.  I saw a lot of mainstream pop and rock acts and then would read all about them online. Anyway, the upside, besides my new-found deep and expert knowledge of Rihanna, is that I once again appreciate the video as a companion form to a song. Which is great, because STRFKR made this unbelievable short yet eye-melting accompaniment to their song Beach Monster, from their most recent album Miracle Mile. The album got slammed on Pitchfork, which just goes to show, not everyone has the same opinion. I wrote something about it for NBHAP too.
Next up, it's Wayne Coyne and the Flaming Lips, doing what they do best, which is alternately freaking out and seducing suburban America. They performed on Late Night with David Letterman. Check out my thoughts on their newest album The Terror, do not listen to while on a bad acid trip it will only make it worse. 
As far as a few little odds and ends, I wrote the promotions for the Introducing in March and Introducing in April series, which NBHAP is now co-sponsoring with Intro magazine. I'll be there this Thursday, the line-up is very promising. 

No comments: